Monday, December 10, 2012

Morphed project with a plethera of techniques

Today I'd like to share with you a project I made that started out as simply playing with a new technique I saw and wanted to try!

The 3 little squares on the right are the technique I was playing with - how to make faux tin ceiling tiles from regular foil. Basically you run the foil through an embossing folder then wipe it with metal rubs....my quest was to see if I could use something other than the metal rubs to antique the foil. Knowing that dye based ink would probably not stick, I grabbed various shades of chalk ink and began rubbing.  Voila - it worked like a charm.

Here is a close up of the tin squares. The foil reflected the flash of my camera, but you can still see the detail if you look close. I did most of the rub with black chalk ink, then added some chocolate around the edges to distress it a bit more.

Not wanting to waste these cool squares I needed to find something to do with them.  Then I remembered the latest sketch challenge at Heart to Heart Challenges and thought it would be a perfect way to showcase my technique.

Next I needed a sentiment, so I dug through my stash and found this cute little Christmas poem written by Patsy Gant from Quick Quotes.  Although it is not traditional Christmas colors, I decided to use paper from the Close To My Heart La Belle Vie collection since it is sort of vintagey and went well with the ceiling tiles. Now that I had all the parts and pieces I had to find something to put them on - everything was way too big for a card.  I had this book box sitting around that I had already painted black and thought it would be a perfect canvas for the project.

It looked a bit bare when I got it all laid out so I added the vellum roses on a stick from my backyard (another technique I saw recently) in a pattern similar to one I saw on the Martha Stewart website showcasing Christmas Roses and some leaves - yet another technique I've seen. The stick is covered with glue then sprinkled with Diamond Dust and the leaves are cut from cardstock folded in half then run through the crimper on a diagonal. Now that I have all this vellum on my project I am submitting it on the latest Friday Challenge on the Quick Quotes blog.
This certainly wasn't what I had planned for my weekend, but all these ideas kept popping into my head and the creativity was flowing....so I didn't want to stop!

Project Supplies:
Pattern Paper - Close To My Heart La Belle Vie
Cardstock - Close To My Heart - New England Ivy, Smokey Plum
Vellum - The Paper Studio - Cream and Irredescent White
Vellum Quote - Quick Quotes
Rhinestone Designer Brads - Close To My Heart
Powder Puff Chalk Ink - Quick Quotes
Flower Stamens - Wilton

4 comments:

Marcia Dehn-Nix said...

Beautiful card! I love all the techniques you've tried here too. I am definitely going to have to try some of those too. So glad you joined us over at Quick Quotes for our latest challenge.

Barb Craft said...

Wow! This is gorgeous! There are so many great elements to this card! I love the way you embossed the foil... looks amazing! And your vellum roses are spectacular! Thank you for taking on our vellum challenge at Quick Quotes this month!

barb :)

Rhonda Van Ginkel said...

What a lovely card Debi! The techniques are so fun and I love how you used vellum too!!!

Thanks so much for playing along with us at Quick Quotes!!!

Tina Campbell said...

Wow that is a beautiful card

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...